ROOF SNOW REMOVAL SERVICES IN MONTREAL
Why and When Should You Remove the Snow on Your Roof?
Upon seeing the first snowflake, we are instantly reminded of the arrival of winter. During the season, it is important not to let snow accumulate on your roof. Too much snow on a roof can be dangerous for passers-by, as well as create roofing subsidence and collapse risks.
It is difficult to precisely identify the ideal moment to proceed with roofing snow removal. However, it is best to adopt a preventive approach. Certain signs can help us identify when it is time to remove the snow from a roof. If you notice a foul odour inside your home, if you have trouble opening and closing a door because of unusual pressure, or if you hear cracking sounds from your foundation, it is time to act.
Contact René Perron Couvreurs for quality snow removal work and enjoy a safe winter season.
THE DANGERS OF SNOW ACCUMULATION
During the cold season, it is very dangerous to let a thick layer of snow (and ice) pile up on a roof. Why is that?
1. First, because the snow could restrict or even block the evacuation of water towards the drains or gutters, which would lead to overflows or accumulations of water on the perimeter (or at the edge) of the roofing. This phenomenon could lead to what is known in the recovery industry as “overflow infiltration”, a situation which would certainly cause serious damage to the interior – and all the consequences that ensue…
2. Snow and ice could fall on people walking on the ground, causing injury.
3. Snow and ice could damage the roof by forming cracks and generating water infiltration.
4. The weight of snow and ice could cause the roof to sag, requiring costly repairs.
5. Excessive accumulation of heavy snow and ice could cause the roof to collapse (catastrophic, potentially fatal scenario)...
WHEN SHOULD YOU CARRY OUT SNOW REMOVAL?
First, know that the older your roof is, the higher the risk of collapse. Other signs showing that it is urgent to have snow removed from your roof are as follows:
You smell a strange sewer smell inside;
You notice cracking noises coming from the structure.
The front door opens and closes more difficult due to a change in pressure;
REMOVAL YOUR SNOW? YES, BUT…
For maximum safety, it is recommended to entrust roof snow removal work to a specialized company such as ours. In fact, an inexperienced individual, inadequately protected or who does not have the right tools could be injured during the work.
PROTECT YOUR ROOF FROM SNOW
Like any kind of moisture, snow and ice can quickly deteriorate roofing materials. It can widen gaps in seams, or cause depressions in the surface. Also, when accumulated snow melts, it may find its way into the roof’s structure, thereby causing damage to your roofing. We recommend you hire us to apply an elastomeric membrane to protect your roofing system from moisture penetration. It is especially helpful for preventing damage caused by freeze cycles and will keep your roof protected during winter and throughout the year.